I spend my time here just like I've always wanted to: I usually have no fixed programs, I come and go whenever I like, I have a key to the appartement, I walk a lot but I have a pass for the tram (just in case, if I'm tired or want to go somewhere further) and I even have access to an office where I have breakfast with the employees. The boss is of British origin, but has lived in Turkey for ages and the appartement I stay in belongs to her. This is far better than my usual way of travelling because I can have a taste of local lifestyle. Getting to know it well would require more time, of course, but I don't need a map anymore and I already know where to buy vegetables. An ideal beginning. I don't even mind the construction works in the street with all that noise and the lack of cold water. (Hot water comes from a container on the roof.)
Today I haven't chosen the classic touristy way, either. The main goal is to get loaded with vitamin D and pleasant experience before I fly back to the winter-like weather to finish my last MA semester. I walked to the port (carefully avoiding everyone organizing boat trips and the restaurant where the overly friendly waiter works) and with a book in my hand I sat on the rocks that are also popular among locals. It was wonderful to immerse in the world of Marquez while listening to the murmur of the waves. I only left when clouds appeared in the sky.
During the Friday sightseeing I set my eyes on a red scarf and I was hoping to find the way back to the shop where I saw it. For that reason, I had to cross a part of the city that is full of shops (between the port and the main road, I guess everyone lives from tourism there), so when I finally got to the one near the clock tower, I already had another scarf. I didn't mind, it has a beautiful color and thanks to its pattern, it can be worn with several different coats. (I had realized in India that I should think about warm materials and winter clothing because I don't wear scarfs in the summer. Back then I bought a thin, mustard-colored woolen shawl, very useful while travelling, I even have it here with me.) On my way I looked around in various shops. I was warmly welcomed everywhere, I got some pomegranate flavored tea and one man even offered me breakfast but I wasn't hungry.
Today I haven't chosen the classic touristy way, either. The main goal is to get loaded with vitamin D and pleasant experience before I fly back to the winter-like weather to finish my last MA semester. I walked to the port (carefully avoiding everyone organizing boat trips and the restaurant where the overly friendly waiter works) and with a book in my hand I sat on the rocks that are also popular among locals. It was wonderful to immerse in the world of Marquez while listening to the murmur of the waves. I only left when clouds appeared in the sky.
During the Friday sightseeing I set my eyes on a red scarf and I was hoping to find the way back to the shop where I saw it. For that reason, I had to cross a part of the city that is full of shops (between the port and the main road, I guess everyone lives from tourism there), so when I finally got to the one near the clock tower, I already had another scarf. I didn't mind, it has a beautiful color and thanks to its pattern, it can be worn with several different coats. (I had realized in India that I should think about warm materials and winter clothing because I don't wear scarfs in the summer. Back then I bought a thin, mustard-colored woolen shawl, very useful while travelling, I even have it here with me.) On my way I looked around in various shops. I was warmly welcomed everywhere, I got some pomegranate flavored tea and one man even offered me breakfast but I wasn't hungry.
This adoration surrounding me is quite baffling. In one of the shops the owner said I was "the woman of his dreams" and almost immediately tied a bracelet around my wrist. There were other men trying to invite me for a coffee / walk / visit to the backyard. I told everyone that I wasn't single and it was enough in most of the cases (mentioning my husband used to be even more efficient, but those days are over). However, there were some men whom I had to tell that "my boyfriend works nearby".
After reaching the main road I decided not to go the well-known direction. I was hoping I wouldn't get lost and even if I did I could go back the way I came. I walked around two mosques and I entered the less crowded one that had a sign describing what visitors should pay attention to.
After reaching the main road I decided not to go the well-known direction. I was hoping I wouldn't get lost and even if I did I could go back the way I came. I walked around two mosques and I entered the less crowded one that had a sign describing what visitors should pay attention to.
My shoes in my bag (I didn't dare to leave them outside on the shelf), scarf on my head (fortunately there was no rule for covering the arms, my scarf wasn't big enough for that), I opened the door. It was not obvious whether the people inside are waiting for some ceremony to begin or are they just meditating there so I only took a few careful and silent steps, just to look around. The building wasn't particularly interesting, I didn't take any photos and I soon left not to disturb anybody. I have to admit, as a European woman I'm always worried that I might break a local religious or cultural rule I'm not aware of. At the other mosque, I felt strange just for walking in the garden alone, in western clothes. There were mostly man there, gathering at the entrance, bathing at a well. I would have preferred to stay unnoticed... No matter how strange the Islam religion is for me, I don't want to insult any of the believers.
No comments:
Post a Comment